Portrait of István Simon, principal dancer of Semperoper Ballet

István is dancing on the stage of the Semperoper Dresden. He is performing „Tristan and Isolde“, choreographed by David Dawson. He is only performing two hours for the audience, but he has a long story to tell. It is the story of a young Hungarian boy from Transylvania, who came kind of tragically to Ballet. „As a kid I had a big temperament. I wanted to do all kind of things. Then i started karate and just before my first exam in karate we had a medical examination where they found out that I had severe heart rhythm problems“, István describes his situation. His will to move didn't stop after this incident and after a long healing process and three EKG's per week his doctor suggested a solution: start to dance. „You can't really forbid a kid to run around“.


István Simon, Tristan+Isolde by David Dawson - Photo by Ian Whalen



In the next years István attended local Ballet School in Marosvásárhely/Tirgu Mures, two times a week. It wasn't typical for a boy to dance. „We helped the girls with their performances. What I really enjoyed there was the free time to practice my own abilities like Saltos and back-flips“, István says. During those years István had one really lucky day. A talent-scout from Budapest Dance Art Academy came by and saw his dancing-abilities. „I had to come to Budapest to the professional school. I really wanted to go, because I thought it would be be fantastic“, István explains.  He convinced his parents of his dream and with their support he moved to Budapest to become a professional Dancer.


István Simon and Vincent Lubbe at the Semperoper - Photo by Schirin Stephan



As I saw István and Anna Merkulova performing one of the four pas de deux in Tristan+Isolde, I acknowledged a man with a fascination for his profession and a strong will. „It was one of the best professional experiences of my life. I love David Dawson’s choreographies and Tristan+Isolde is particularly one of my favorites“, István says after his performance in June. To become a ballet dancer like István you have to go through different kind of challenges. „You have to love what you do. You need to have a body which allows you to move in a certain interval, to have the capacity to lifting your legs. Anatomy which allows great turn out in the hip joint (this is called “en dehors” in the terminology of ballet) is an advantage. A “dancer noble” a ballet dancer who is dancing the principal male roles of the performances needs to have harmonic body proportions, long lines and strength in the mean time. During the ballet school you learn the traditional technique of classical ballet and you get the strength, coordination and dynamics. You have to reach a certain flexibility and it is very important to take care of your health and not last you have to learn and constantly develop how to perform and what to communicate to the audience with your dance“, István says. He is training 6  days of a week, sometimes even Sundays. This needs a lot of discipline. Not only the fitness of the body is a challenge, but also the professional competition. István describes the ballet school as „grewing up in a competitive environment, but if you are lucky you learn throughout the years that the real challenge is to become the best version of yourself and not compete with others“. He is also very glad to work at the Semperoper in Dresden: „This company is very exceptional, dancers are generous and fair with each other. It is a very supportive environment and gives space for art and humanistic values which is a rare condition in the dance world today.


Anna Merkulova&István Simon, Tristan+Isolde by David Dawson - Photo by Ian Whalen


Beside all the challenges there is nothing more special for István to perform roles and different characters on stage. As i get to know István on stage as Tristan he was marvelous. You really can see that he transformed into his role for the moment:“I like how it is possible to build up a character from the beginning to the end. If I have to necessarily choose a part I would say my favorite part is the last pas de deux in Tristan+Isolde. I think that it builds up to a high and unique level of emotion. Before that point has so much happened in the piece, what you have lived trough as the character. All that is there with you and defines you. Nothing is forced, the emotions just come to you. That is what I enjoy the most actually to create characters and function within the moment. It is of course not easy to take such emotional risk. It is a finer sophisticated work to accomplish. This is the most interesting part. “  Not every dancer is living the acting during the dance like István. 


István Simon and Vincent Lubbe at the Semperoper - Photo by Schirin Stephan
 

When István has to think about the next few years, he is optimistic: „I faced the fear of not dancing in the very beginning as I was injured in my first year. I had to make a very strong and clear choice and go deep down into myself and realized that this is what I want to do and I  want to do it with passion. And then when i understood this, it was never a question again. I want to do this and no matter what will happen I will find a way to continue to do it“  The next step after performing could be directing on his own at a big company. I will continue following István Simons carrier as he is one exceptional Primoballerino.


Text: Vincent Lubbe 
Photos: Ian Whalen (1), (3) and Schirin Stephan (2), (4)

Share this:

, , , , , , ,

CONVERSATION

1 Kommentare:

  1. Professional dancers need to have a very strong character in order to succeed in this competitive world. I myself am a competitive Irish dancer and the world of fierce competition damages many young dancers and makes them lose their love for the dance. I'm thus really happy to hear that the company in Dresden is so generous. Oftentimes, dancers within the same company only see each other as competitors because everyone wants the solo parts...

    Thanks for this lovely portrait!

    Karin

    AntwortenLöschen